Are you technologically savvy and down with G-O-D? Do you live your daily life with an iphone in your pocket and a burden of guilt in your heart? Do you pray for more opportunities to clear your conscience?
There’s an App for that!
If you haven’t heard, the latest apple-related news that has Catholics abuzz has nothing to do with Eve or her rib-less beau. Recently, a Confession iphone app has become available to iphone and ipad users. For a mere $1.99, users receive:
- Custom examination of Conscience based upon age, sex, and vocation (single, married, priest, or religious)
- Multiple user support with password protected accounts
- Ability to add sins not listed in standard examination of conscience
- Confession walkthrough including time of last confession in days, weeks, months, and years
- Choose from 7 different acts of contrition
Keep in mind that the Vatican is not embracing this idea of confession with a techy twist. ”I must stress to avoid all ambiguity, under no circumstance is it possible to ‘confess by iPhone,’” said spokesman Federico Lombardi.
Even with the Vatican frown of disapproval (careful! your face will freeze that way!), the punchlines for this whole iconfess situation practically write themselves. My favorite so far comes from boingboing: “Finally! A way to confess your sins with one hand while possibly still committing them with the other.”